Choke Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu was established in 2004. We are the most traditional BJJ organization in Denmark and the only group that is directly connected to the Gracie Family in Brazil and in the United States. In fact, when the Gracies come to Scandinavia they usually train and teach at our schools.
We have two schools - Copenhagen & Århus - and over 700 members.
Our founder and head instructor is Professor Joao Pedro Santos, who is a third degree black belt under 8th degree Carlson Gracie disciple Sergio "Bolao" Souza.
The name Choke is short, strong and relates directly to Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. According to Grand Master Helio Gracie, it is also the most powerful move in Jiu-Jitsu . It was suggested by Morten Pedersen, one of our first students.
Our logo is evidently based on the traditional Gracie Academy logo that's been used in Brazil for almost a century. There are three equilateral triangles inside the circle. They represent balance and connection to our roots.
- 2003 - First seminars held in Helsingør with local instructor Kasper Jørgensen who was at the time the highest ranked BJJ practitioner in the country.
- 2004 - Small training group created in Hillerød.
- 2004 - The training group moves to Lyngby thanks to Mr. Philip Pilavachi who invites us to share space with his Wing Tsun school. The group becomes officially known as Choke Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
- 2005 - We host two Gracie Family members in Scandinavia, cousins Roger Gracie and Igor Gracie.
- 2006 - First seminars held in Århus, which eventually leads to the creation of Choke Århus, our second largest school.
- 2006 - Multiple time world champion Roberto Atalla makes the first of his many visits to Denmark and spends a week training at Choke.
- 2007 - Choke Hvide Sande, our affiliated training group in the west coast of Jylland, comes to life under the guidance of Mr. Michael Lund.
- 2007 - First seminars held in Limhamn, which eventually leads to the creation of Choke Sweden, our first school outside of Denmark.
- 2007 - We open Choke Odense, Fyn's only dedicated Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu school.
- 2008 - Rolles Gracie comes to Denmark to teach exclusively at Choke.
- 2008 - The main school moves to Copenhagen inside Equinox Valby, which is Scandinavia's largest fitness center.
- 2009 - Master Sergio Souza Bolao visits Denmark for the first time and teaches at all Choke schools.
- 2009 - Kyra Gracie comes to Scandinavia to teach exclusively at Choke.
- 2010 - We get our own location in Nørrebro only a couple of blocks from the lakes.
- 2010 - Carlson Gracie Jr. comes to Denmark to teach exclusively at Choke.
- 2011 - GracieMag editor Luca Atalla spends a week training and teaching at Choke.
- 2011 - The main school moves to its current location in Østerbro, again only a few blocks from the lakes in one of the city's most upscale areas.
- 2015 - Our Professor JP relocates to Rio de Janeiro and a group of seasoned students takes charge of the training in Choke Copenhagen
- 2015 - Bralio estema comes to Choke HQ for a seminar.
- 2016 - Proffesor JP makes he's way back to denmark graduating and teaching during a week´s stay.
- 2016 - Bernadio faria comes to Choke HQ for a seminar.
- 2016 - Iran mascahenas comes to Choke HQ for a 3 days seminar.
- 2016 Choke and Rumble sports become one, and we become the newest biggest and best MMA school in copenhagen.